Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How Do You Do It? Emily Walsh


How Do You Do It?

Emily Walsh, Chief Digital Officer of The Observer Group, Inc

Photo Credit: Alex Stafford Photography
 
 

I met Emily about 13 years ago when she and my sister became fast friends in a sorority at FSU.  Since they were both from the same town put them on the fast track for being best buds (still are today). After college Emily moved back to Sarasota and began working for her parents emerging publishing empire.  Today the Observer Media Group has grown to 8 newspapers, five websites, a quarterly arts and social magazine and employs nearly 100 people.  Emily started as the Black Tie editor (7 years) and then moved onto her current role as Chief Digital Officer. She sits on the board of several not-for-profit organizations as well as chairs some of Sarasota’s best events. Emily has been named one of the “100 Most Powerful People” by Sarasota Magazine in 2007,  received the “She Knows Where She’s Going” Award in 2006 by Girls Inc. of Sarasota, “Caring Heart of the Year” award in 2012 by First Step of Sarasota, and “25 under 35 - The Next Generation of Publishing Leaders” in 2012 by Editor and Publisher Magazine. Not only is Emily on track to one day taking over for her parents, but she does it all while raising her adorable 2-year old son, Rhys. She is a hands-on mother who manages to do all that she can and be a working mother.  So, Emily Walsh, how do you do it? 

 
1. What time does your day start and how? My day starts at 6 a.m. when my alarm on my iPhone goes off. Then I proceed to hit snooze a few more times. Finally, I'll take a quick look at my email, calendar, Facebook and headlines before I force myself out of bed between 6:30 and 6:45 a.m. to get a head start on getting ready for the day before my two-and-a-half year-old son, Rhys, wakes up. 

 

2. What time does your day end and how? My office day ends around 5 p.m. I used to stay at the office late before I had my son. Now I make a point to spend some quality time together before bedtime. Then after Rhys goes to bed, I'll usually pop my laptop open for another hour or so of work before settling in bed around 10:30 (well ... more like 11 p.m.) with a good book on my iPad. 

 

 3. Do you work from home or in a office? What is the set up like? 
I work in an office. My desk is full of "creative chaos." :)

 

 

 

4. Do you speak/see your children (child) throughout the day? If yes, how/when?
Rhys goes to Early Care Center at First United Methodist downtown, so he's usually busy learning and playing with his friends while I'm at work. However, his mom is really good at forgetting things for class parties until the hour before so I'll see him when I'm delivering goodies in the afternoon. 

 

 

 
5. What is the best thing about being a working mother? Hardest?
The best thing about being a working mother is setting an example for my son. I hope that he'll be proud of the accomplishments I've created in our business and industry as well as the future I've helped create for him. The hardest is trying to juggle it all: work, home, family, friends and personal life

 
 6. Be honest, what is the one thing you envy about stay at home moms?
All the wonderful hours during the week they get to spend with their kids. They can keep the laundry. ;)

 

 
Emily’s must have items of the moment!

 
 
 iPhone - For emails, calendar, music, Facebook and the camera apps for cute pics of the little guy and FaceTime when I'm not with him

 
iPad - Especially useful when loaded with Power Ranger episodes for dinners out (for Rhys) and all my newspaper and magazine subscriptions and novels of the moment.

 
   Starbucks Verismo coffee maker - Changed my life ... hot, fresh, Starbucks café lattes made from a pod ... For reals

 
Ralph Lauren Classic Cotton T-shirts in Red - I've managed to convince Rhys that these are the shirts that Jayden, the Red Ranger (from Power Rangers), wears to school. Otherwise, getting dressed would be very difficult. 

 
Ray-Ban Original Wayfarer sunglasses - I'm in love with the Blue Music shade. 

 
Bluetooth - Absolutely necessary to multi-task while driving with 2-year old so you can make phone calls handsfree as well as Spotify and Pandora music listening pleasure. 

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment